What is the difference between Joint Tenants and Tenants in Common

It is quite common for people, whether in a relationship or not, to buy property together therefore it is important to consider how the property ownership should be arranged when buying a property. Your decision should be made clear to your property lawyer or conveyancer during the conveyancing process in order for him or her to have the ownership correctly noted on title.

In property law there are two types of ownership:
· joint tenants, and
· tenants in common.

These two legal concepts have different legal and financial implications on the rights of owners.

Joint Tenancy
When people own property as joint tenants then:
· all joint tenants have equal ownership (50/50) in the property, and
· a right of survivorship exists.

The right of survivorship means if one of the joint tenants passes away, the property will automatically pass to the surviving joint tenant regardless of any contrary directions in a Will of the deceased.

Usually joint tenants are husband and wife or couples in long-term relationships. However joint tenancy can also be used for other property ownership arrangements where the parties are content with the right of survivorship.

Tenants in Common
People who own a property as tenants in common own it in defined shares which they can dispose of as they wish.
The shares of tenants in common can be equal or unequal. For example, one tenant in common can own 99% of the shares while the other owns 1%.

A tenant in common can sell his or her share in the property or give them away in a Will. This means that there is no right of survivorship.
Tenants in common are usually people entering into second marriages or people who contribute different amounts towards the purchase of a property.

Remember to ask your property lawyer or conveyancer before you complete your conveyancing transaction what the best form of ownership will be for you.

Related Posts

Recent Articles

Deposits in Queensland Conveyancing transactions
May 3, 2021
Insurance – where does the risk fall after signing a contract?
April 3, 2021
Stamp duty and buying a property
March 3, 2021

About Baldwins Lawyers

Baldwins Lawyers provides conveyancing services and assists with family law, estate planning and probate matters across Queensland, including Gympie, Sunshine Coast, Brisbane, Gold Coast and also across New South Wales. Gympie based Solicitors – Our aim is to provide quality legal services and quality conveyancing services at fair and realistic prices.